About Art S+S
Established in 1955, the Picture Rental program was established by the AGH Women’s Auxiliary (now the AGH Volunteer Committee) to encourage public interest in Canadian art.
At the time of its inception, the AGH was the only art museum in Canada, and only one of five art museums in North America, to offer such a service! The program, which supported artists and the AGH permanent collection, was open once a month and run solely by AGH Volunteers.
By the 1970s, the Art Rental service was open more frequently. Annual art sales (named The Hang-Ups) featured a number of artists in the Art Rental collection who are now internationally well-known, including Jack Bush, Norval Morrisseau, Jean-Paul Riopelle, and Harold Town, among others.
Today, Art Sales + Services continues to support Canadian artists, offering 750+ works by 200+ artists, many of whom live in the GTHA / Niagara region. Returning over $150,000 annually to participating artists, and in turn to the local artist community, the Art Sales + Services program remains true to its goal of introducing and supporting artists.
Our services include delivery and installation, payment plans, and personalized on-site consultations.
From the International Art Collection
Trouville. Le port 1884
Eugène Boudin (French 1824-1898)
oil on wood, Bequest of Miss Muriel Isabel Bostwick, 1966